The Council of MQA, established under the Malaysian Qualifications Agency Act 2007 (Act 679) has the following functions:
- to approve plans and policies for the management of the Agency;
- to approve any amendment or update of the Malaysian Qualifications Framework;
- to approve policies and guidelines relating to accreditation of programmes, qualifications or higher education providers or institutional audit;
- to approve any matter relating to the functions, powers, duties, remuneration, allowance, honorarium, benefits and code of conduct of officers, employees, agents and consultants of the Agency;
- to receive and monitor reports, returns, statements and any other information relating to accreditation, institutional audit and evaluation;
- to do all things reasonably necessary for the performance of its functions under this Act.